Increase the Quality Features of Wood Based Panels with the GreCon StenOgraph Raw Density Measuring System
For MDF, particleboard and OSB boards, the raw density has a decisive influence on the panel quality. For the economic production of wood based panels, this parameter is one of the most important that needs to be monitored and optimized. Depending on the end use of the wood based panel, different density profiles are required. Continuous online monitoring is necessary in order to ensure optimum adjustment of the production line. Using the Raw Density Profile Analyzer StenOgraph allows operators to adjust the production process to maximum efficiency.
Due to non-optimal raw density profiles, wood based panels are often manufactured with an elevated raw density. Our clients informed us that by using the StenOgraph they were able to reduce the average raw density by 2.5% or more.
When switching from one product type to another, a certain running-in time is necessary for new product parameters. With the StenOgraph the specified parameters are achieved within a much shorter period of time. In a typical MDF production plant, the costs of substandard products from product switch over were reduced by 33% using the StenOgraph system.
Minimizing the specific press time while increasing the capacity by approximately 4000 m³ per year is considered realistic.
The measuring principle of the raw density measuring system StenOgraph is based on a combination of x-ray transmission and forward scatter. The imaging geometry is designed to determine the density profile of a moving panel directly at the outlet of a continuous press.
A narrowly focused x-ray beam (1) penetrates the cross section of the moving panel (2), preferably at an angle of 45°. A scanning detector system (3) records the density- dependent scattered radiation along the plane of the panel and a stationary detector (4) records the transmitted radiation.
By combining both signals, the density of any part of the panel cross section is calculated directly. Thus, a scan of the full thickness as well as a sub-scan of selected areas can be made.
The visualization software records all measured values and processes them graphically. The simple menu structure makes an intuitive operation possible.
Clear information and graphics enable the operator to quickly and effectively adjust the online production process. Using a waterfall graphic (optional), it is possible to display the last six profiles to monitor the development of the raw density profile during production start-up and running production process. Standard profiles are faded in so that deviations from the rated value can be easily recognized.
- Microprocessor Control Console; industrial enclosure.
- Visualization PC for remote data display.
- Windows® operating system and software.
- Standard Net DDE interface (Wonderware®).
- Shielded X-ray sources.
- Extruded, anodized aluminum O-Frame.
- Dust hood protects all moving parts, and cables are installed inside O-Frame.
- Manual or (optional) motorized positioning of the gauge.
- One raw density profile every 20-40 seconds.
- Measures max. and min. values, total average value, and a ratio of min./average value of acceptable production limits.
- Measuring accuracy: ± 3% of the measuring range.
- Maximum panel thickness: up to 1.65"
- Nearly total reduction of panel rejects due to raw density.
- Eliminates need for safety margin in your recipes and reduces raw material usage
- Panels can be manufactured to exact specifications.
- Faster and smoother startup and product changes.
- Optimizes and increases production by 1% - 2% per year.
- Real-time monitoring for immediate adjustments to production